Accessing The Gardens
Yes! Our walking paths are gradual and easy to tackle, making it easy to explore with little ones.
All public areas have wheelchair and scooter accessibility, except a lookout in the Sunken Garden known as “The Mound,” and the path to the wharf. Only motorized and standard wheelchairs are permitted.
- Complimentary wheelchair rental is available with a $10 deposit. No reservations required.
- If you wish to rent a motorized scooter, please contact Motion Specialties directly at 250-656-6228 to arrange delivery to The Gardens for your visit. The Butchart Gardens does not have scooters on site to rent.
“Great place to use a wheelchair.”
– Francisco & Jessica, San Diego
All of the washrooms on the grounds are outfitted with baby changing stations for your convenience.
Complimentary strollers are available on a first-come, first-served basis from the Visitor Centre ($10 refundable deposit).
Tickets and Planning
No. Tickets are available upon arrival.
Online daily admission tickets are sold at our high season rate. They are not date-specific. Should you purchase these tickets and visit at a time when admission is at a lesser rate, you will be refunded the difference upon arrival.
Tickets do not sell out. Some years, there are 1-3 summer Special Event evenings that may bring us to capacity on that evening. These events are noted in our entertainment calendar published every spring. Outside of these times, tickets are always available online and at the gate upon arrival.
Every visitor is welcomed in an efficient and friendly manner. Online tickets do not provide expedited entry.
Remember: to prevent fraud, you will be asked to present the credit card used to purchase these tickets at the admission gate.
A Special Event happens 1 – 3 times annually in the summer. It is a highly-anticipated concert where tickets are sold in advance; the date and time vary each year. Our concert calendar, including the Special Event day(s), is published every spring.
The Gardens are open on Special Event days to the public, but may reach capacity in the evening closer to the concert time.
Re-admission from the previous day or same day re-admission will not be permitted on Special Event dates.
Notice to 12 Month Pass holders
- 12 Month Passes are not valid for complimentary admission after 2:30pm. Admission will be charged for entry up until 2:30pm and refunded if Pass Holders depart by 4:00pm.
- The Bring a Friend promotion is not available on Special Event dates after 2:30pm. Admission will be charged for entry up until 2:30pm and 10% refunded if they depart by 4:00pm.
You can view our interactive map online ahead of time, or you can find printed maps at our Visitor Centre, available in 22 languages.
All parking is free. We accommodate cars, bicycles and RVs. Parking for people with disabilities is also available.
Our dock is designed for dinghy docking. All dinghies must depart the dock before The Gardens close. Please refer to our mooring diagram before your arrival. For local marina information and UTM coordinators, refer to our wharf information PDF.
While the Butchart Gardens welcomes well-behaved leashed pets, we do not permit disobedient owners. During the past Christmas season, we received several complaints from visitors concerned about safety and poop. While most owners adhere to our short-leash and pick-up policy, our narrow pathways, steps and festive lighting can make maneuvering around pets difficult.
To that end, we will be implementing a change in our pet policy from December 1st through January 6th whereby pets will not be permitted between 3:00 PM and 8:00 PM.
When visiting The Gardens with your pet:
- Please ensure you are fully aware of what your dog is doing at all times.
- Pick up after your pet so that others do not step in anything unpleasant. Waste bags are available when you enter The Gardens as well as in the parking lot, at the Ross Fountain, the Carousel Patio and the Wharf Lookout. Litter can be deposited into garbage cans designated for trash.
- Use a 4-foot maximum length leash in order to keep your dog close by. No retractable leashes permitted.
- Avoid interactions with other dogs to maintain the comfort and safety of all our visitors.
Please help with these simple rules as we do not want to be forced to ban pets altogether.
Our designated picnicking areas are adjacent to the main parking lot and on the concert lawn.
BBQ’s of any kind are not permitted.
If it rains—or will rain imminently!—our staff distribute hundreds of umbrellas throughout the grounds and parking lots so you can borrow one and stay dry.
No costumes, historical or period dress are permitted at The Gardens.
For the safety and enjoyment of all visitors, selfie sticks are not permitted.
If possible, we ask you use your tripod as a monopod, and do not block the paths.
Services & Amenities
Yes, our Visitor Centre can hold luggage and other small items free of charge while you visit The Gardens.
Please turn in and report any lost items to the Visitor Centre. You can also collect items at the Visitor Centre.
Our Visitor Centre sells postage stamps and houses a mailbox for you to mail postcards to friends and family.
Yes. All Butchart Gardens’ seed is certified to enter the USA. Just ask one of our staff for the regulation sticker.
Pay phones are available in the bus parking lot. If you need help finding a pay phone, please ask a staff member for assistance.
Mobile first aid assistance is readily available and we encourage you to accept the help of our well-trained First Aid Attendants. If you experience or witness an injury, mishap or emergency, please notify any staff member immediately, report to our Visitor Centre, or call 250-652-4422. Our staff are well-equipped to assist you with any injury or medical incident and will ensure the incident is properly documented. Band-aids, anti-nausea and other comfort medications are available for sale in the Information Centre.